Monday 21 June 2010

Barsham 200610 Map231 395895

Can you spot Mr Fox on the 6th picture down?
My walk today started at Barsham village hall on the Beccles to Bungay road, well marked by the red telephone box. Parking in lay by.
My first error  was misreading the church on the map to be the one at Shipmeadow. Footpaths went in a similar direction but crossing a road that did not exist on the map showed something was wrong! He Ho!Unfortunatley it did not take long to walk myself off the map, but fortunately my compass helped me get back to the direction I needed. thank you Sylva!
Walking south for the B1062 took me uphill along Sandy lane which was like Rabbit Hilton. Much jumping down holes.
Then south still, through a cornfield with a path well marked by the farmer, thank you so  much! Through City Farm where I missed the path to, my right but got through without challenge along  a wide farm track to Ringsfield Church and Old Hall Farm.
Turning to my right to travel South West along a bridleway is where I encountered Mr and Mrs Fox who poked their noses up, had a look at me and wandered off. Obviously not impressed with me!
After about 3/4 of a mile the bridleway took me to a lane where a turn northwards, although not on my map would I knew take me back in the right direction. Electric Pylons some say are a blight but to a walker they are a great map referencing point and today helped to guide me back onto the southern edge of my map!
Walking North to a bend took me to a footpath on my left, West, which I duly followed. At the pylon the map shows the path as straight on, that's the map I didn't have! But a full field of peas and no sign of  a path made me doubt so a turn right following the field edge and then through a hedge across a ditch took me to a track past a bungalow to the road again. Phew but then such a challenge in a walk does give you a lot of satisfaction when you can find a way through.
Northwards along a lane to Boundary farm and a footpath to my left, West, took me North with some good views and back to the Beccles - Bungay road. I crossed and trekked along the verge eastwards until another footpath took me away from the road and through fields of corn. Again a well marked path, thank you Mr Farmer. This then takes you after 800 metres to a track running south to take you back to the lay-by.
This walk took me 2 & 1/2 hours and although I got a bit lost I really enjoyed myself.
Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment