Sunday 13 June 2010

North Walsham Canal 100610 TG346272 -3.5 Miles







Credit for this walk is to the Jarrolds Short walks series-Norfolk into Suffolk:the coastal fringe
This rates as one of my favourite walks. Number 10 in the guide and I do not think I would have found it without the guides help!
I do recommend boots or stout shoes and a walking stick for help over the sections of boggy path. I always wear ankle gaiters when walking and in the wet grass of the meadows these really proved themselves.
Your first challenge is to find the car park which is near East Ruston just past Barnells farm. Coming from Norwich you have to go roundabout a bit due to not many roads and waterways. See map reference.

From the car park a very short path,6' takes you onto the Weavers Way, a former railway line. Turn right and then at the gate by a cottage turn sharp left. Follow this track through a gate into a field. On the day I walked there were cows but fortunately on the far side and no hindrance to me. At a second gate continue along the side of the field. At the end of this field is a stump where a gate used to be. take a  diagonal path across the filed to a style which puts you at the edge of the canal and you can see "Tonnage Bridge" ahead of you.
      At the bridge, pause and enjoy the view of the canal if you are tall enough to peek over the wall! The bridge was restored in the 80's. The question I ask is why was such a substantial bridge put there in the first place? Perhaps the horses pulling the barges crossed the river here.
Walk over the bridge and immediately turn right through a gate to follow the canal northwards. Then enjoy a walk of open fields as you follow alongside the canal. Parts of the path are only inches above the water level making the path very soft in parts and highlighting how fragile parts of this land are. You will come to a copse of Alder trees on your way.
A plank bridge leads into a wood. On the day of my walk all the wild Iris were in bloom so I was greeted with a wonderful yellow display.
Soon you will hear the sound of rushing water. Is this a waterfall in Norfolk you may ask? Well its the best equivalent as you are approaching the lock at Honing. The gates are long gone but there are still heavy pieces of steel and some great brickwork viewed as the water rushes down and then becomes still once more a few yards along the canal.
Cross the bridge at the lock, through some trees and you come to the Weavers Way once more. Turn right, eastwards for a one mile walk back to the car park.
Have you enjoyed this walk? I would love to hear your comments!
See also The North Walsham and Dilham Canal Trust
Stuart
Addendum-My lovely special friend- Liz
On the day of this walk I went to Gorleston later on to taxi my very dear friend Liz back to Beccles from the James Padget Hospital. Liz had just had a session of Chemotherapy at the hospital. On the way back we had such a laugh together and she treated me to a cup of tea at her new house. Liz was always so bubbly and chatty, she made the most of every single moment.  Sadly a few days later, Liz had a massive stroke and died shortly after. I will miss her so much but am so grateful that on the day I enjoyed the North Walsham Canal I also enjoyed that precious time with Liz.
 Live your life, live your day, God bless you Liz xx

No comments:

Post a Comment