Thursday 6 May 2010

Ashby St Mary near Thurton, Norfolk 060510




2.4 Miles Ref 022329
Today took me just off the A146 at Thurton to Ashby St Mary. Parking with narrow lanes and no village hall. I do love village halls for their easily accessible car parks during the quiet mid-week. I eventually squeezed myself on to the edge of a field entrance trying carefully to avoid obstructing Mr Farmer.
The path starts near the side of the church and takes you northwards to Claxton. Unusually for Norfolk this area is partly rolling countryside, paths go up and down and the views are superb.From Claxton I made my way to St Andrews the church of Claxton where someone had kindly installed a bench for me to enjoy lunch on, in the sun but shaded form the cold wind. I had to put gloves on today despite the sunshine,.
Footpath difficulties!
Leaving the church behind me I  crossed the road and followed the footpath sign but where the path went seemed very unclear. Navigation by pylons took me to a point where I could see the path I needed would intersect but it took a bit of walking across ploughed fields to get there. The next footpath was clearly marked with a new post and took me across an otherwise unmarked growing crop. Without the post I would have been a bit stuck and without these markers parts of the countryside could slowly become lost to all of us.

A good walk , navigation challenges are interesting and often give me a  great sense of achievement once I have eventually found my way.
Often I tell myself "Perhaps your map reading skills are not as good as you thought!" But then that spurs me on to get some more practice in, don't panic, look at that map and what is around me! Landmarks, contours, fields, woods, everything and don't panic!
Can anyone tell me what these pinky blooms are?
Stuart

1 comment:

  1. Walked here earlier in the year, as enjoyable as you found it.

    ReplyDelete