Friday 30 July 2010

Burgh Castle- Breydon Water- Gt Yarmouth 290710 Ref Tg481051

Today a wonderful experience a wonderful walk.













My thanks and acknowledgement to Norfolk County Council for their "Norfolk Health and Biodiversity Walks. Walks in and around Great Yarmouth." A great little publication which with it's bus information lead me to this walk today.

Breydon Water has been a special, almost magical place for me in my 36 years in Norfolk. A little mysterious, looking fabulous in sunset, totally tidal so changing throughout the day. My dream house would have a view overlooking Breydon water.
But to the start. Long term parking just off Northgate Street at £3.50 for over 4 hours and then a 10 minute walk to the Market Gates Bus Station. A number 5 bus for £2.20 took me to the Queens Head at Burgh Castle. I felt I had been dropped off in some strange land, strange because I had never been near this part of Norfolk ever.
Turning back up the road with the pub on my right I walked to the church, a gem in its own right. From here the Roman Fort is clearly signposted across fields. You will not be disappointed by the massive walls and the view the marshes of the Rivers Yare and Waveney. Opposite is the Berney Arms Pub with the towering and dominating black "Berney Arms Drainage Mill" that you can see for miles as you walk in this special river and marsh world.
From the fort step down towards the water and take a path to your right 50 yards form the water. This will soon lead you to another path marked the "Angles Way" back towards the waters edge from here you can walk all the way into Great Yarmouth beside the water. The path is in excellent condition and much more enjoyable that the northern side of Breydon Water which is made up of large bricks with holes in. Demanding on my feet!
The views today included dramatic skies over this big stretch of water, lush green marshland, horses, cows and a family of Mum and Dada Swan with at least 6 cygnets.

No comments:

Post a Comment