Wednesday 22 June 2011

Stokesby 431105 220611


Oh joy! my first walk for some time! Selected Stokesby, just past Acle.
 Car park by river near to Adnams pub. Walk across the green and to the right of the phone box is a little lane (Croft Hill) going uphill. Keep going and ahead of you is the path through a field of wheat, clearly marked by a broad cut. Top marks to farmers who practice this style of path making, it benefits both walkers and farmers.
Follow path as it winds around the edge of fields. I was surrounded by bird song with fields all around me, lorries just visible in the silent distance. A disturbance in the crops saw a pair of rear legs bounding away from me, a hare I think but he was very quick.
Then a signpost directs you to the right, through a field and across a track to a farmers track by "Alder Carr." I followed this to the stream, no more signposting! I decided to follow the stream by turning left, on the southern side of the stream, using the track at the edge of the field. There appeared to be no path alongside the river bank . The O/S map does not make it too clear which side of the stream the footpath follows. On the map it runs through the middle of the stream.
Google map apperas to show the path on the northern side of the stream, must explore more. There is also a guide for this walk produced by the Broads Authority, must get a copy.
Eventually this took me to the road going into Stokesby but I had to cross a ditch to get out of the field. Others had clearly done the same before me! There was a clear path across the ditch and only a few brambles.
At the bridge it seemed there was a path the other side of the stream but all much overgrown.
Crossing the road I took the signed footpath alongside the stream at the southern side of the bridge.
The path soon became very very overgrown, but I do like a challenge. No brambles but if you are less than 5' tall you may struggle to see where you are going!! Eventually came out onto a concrete area with path ahead marked as closed due to river bank repairs. Turned left as directed along concrete path. At end this meets with a road and a turn right brings you back to Stokesby.
Enjoyed my lunch sitting on the wall by car park watching boats navigating the river Bure. Coffee in the pub, The Ferry Inn, an Adnams Pub, was good and served with a smile. The village shop is worth a  visit as it is crammed with lots of bits and pieces and also has a tea room.
A most enjoyable walk, something I have not done for too long.
Stuart
Google map link

2 comments:

  1. Dear Hotelman121.
    Is it possible to cross the River Bure into Stokesby if you are on its south bank? Google maps seem to suggest it is not.
    I appreciate your time and thoroughly enjoyed reading about your walk.
    Terence Baker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Terence
    There is no bridge on the river from Acle Bridge all the way to Gt Yarmouth. Google maps would indicate this and an Ordinance Survey confirms it.
    At Stokesby the Ferry Inn did have a ferry, hence the name but as far as I am aware that service no longer exists.
    Glad you enjoyed reading my blog
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete